My Best Posts

Thursday, December 24, 2015

Got My International Driving Permit!


(UPDATE ON 05-14-2019: Some of the information in this post is no longer accurate, so a new post on the topic of applying for and obtaining International Drivings permits has been made.

After getting the immunizations mandated for my YWAM DTS yesterday, we went up to AAA's (American Automobile Association) Bay Hill office up in Orlando to get my International Driving Permit (IDP). Originally I was going to mail-in the AAA application (found here) but, I needed 2 matching passport sized photos. So after a couple phone calls, we decided that it was best to just go and apply in person; no waiting period and I could pay with a credit card.

AAA charges $10 for passport photos on-top of the standard $15 fee for the IDP itself. Now if you are a premier AAA member you get this fee waived.

The IDP will good for one year from date of issuance. However, you can ask them to date it to a future date as I did but, not more than 6 months in advance.

To be honest, I am not sure that I will be using my IDP at all but, for such a small fee I wanted to be safe than sorry. I doubt that I would want to drive in NZ as they drive on the left; not sure how I would adapt to that. But, maybe if I visit Europe next year! :P (Check-out my GiveSendGo page: https://www.givesendgo.com/ywamnz)

Though I got my permit through AAA you can also get one through the National Auto Club (NAC). They are the only two private entities in the United States authorized to issue them to holders of US driver's license. So, if you see another entity offering them it is probably a scam. For more up to date information on IDPs, please visit: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/safety/driving.html

Note: While I do try to make sure all the information I provide is accurate, I will make no guarantees. Please do your own research. Also, I am NOT affiliate with AAA, NAC or USDOS. The links provided here will take you to other websites, click responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment