My Best Posts

Monday, November 16, 2015

Updated - Extra Travel Tips

If you read my previous post ("What To Do If Your Passport Gets Stolen While Abroad") you might be wondering why I only talked about one's passport getting stolen and not including other often stolen items (credit cards, phones, cash, etc). I focused on just the passport because when you are traveling abroad, your passport (possibly with needed visas inside) is your main travel document to get in or out of most countries.

So in regard the other often stolen items, I have posted below some of my personal habits that help reduce my risk of theft while abroad:

Simply put: "The less you have/carry the less you can possibly lose."

Since my phone will not work while abroad, I will usually leave it and/or my iPad in a room safe... if I am not looking for Wi-Fi. Just remember to collect it before checking-out. Getting a cheap, UNLOCKED, phone for use with international sim cards might be a good option for some.

Personally I carry very little cash, if any at all, on me when I'm traveling or even while at home. I hate carrying cash to be honest and in this day in age it is often not needed in most developed cities around the world. However, there are places that do not accept cards (credit or debit, maybe not even your type; Amex, Visa, Discover, etc) so having some cash  might be okay, just be willing cut a loss for a little if I have to.

Also, I no longer use debit cards while abroad. Debit cards are much riskier to personal finances if compromised, they almost never offer any reward benefits, many still do not have EMV chips (almost an absolute necessity for European travel) and most have the dreaded foreign transaction fee. If you don't have two credit cards, take a debit card as a back-up for a main credit card, Just remember, that if you plan to use cards while traveling, to NEVER only travel with just one card and like cash don't carry all your cards in the same, pocket/location.

Now, if I am to recommend a credit card for traveling, I will recommend the one that I use personally... the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card. As a "frequent" traveler abroad, to this card fits my current travel needs and my domestic life best. The benefits are great (no foreign transaction fees, X2 points on all travel and dining, no wait customer service, free-overnight card replacement, some travel and purchase protection insurance, to name a few)! Also you can transfer the points earned at 1:1 value to a good selection of other airline and hotel partner loyalty programs. For more information on the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, click hereNote: As a user of this card I take part in a Chase "Refer a Friend" promotion. If you click the link provided in this paragraph, apply and are subsequently approved, I will get compensated in the form of bonus points on my end. Also I do not work for Chase nor do I guarantee their cards' benefits in any way.

I hope that you find the above information helpful to you. At the very least, do some research of your own on a good travel credit card that fits you and your lifestyle. Getting a dedicated travel credit card was one of my best decisions yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment