My Best Posts

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Getting an International Driving Permit - Updated

Originally I was just going to link my last post about getting new International Driving Permits (IDPs); However, I realized that some of the info in the old post is no longer valid, so I decided to create a new post about how to obtain an IDP; I applied though the American Automobile Association (AAA).

(Asheville Branch)

While you can apply for a IDP from AAA via-mail by printing, and mailing in a form (mail-in AAA application found here), I have never taken this route. Both times I just went into a local AAA branch as I needed 2 matching passport sized photos for the application. For me, even if I was a good distance from an AAA branch, I would have made a special trip to go and apply in person; there is no waiting period to receive your IDP, the staff can answer questions if you have any, and you can pay with a credit card.

(friendly staff)

As of this writing, the fee for the IDP itself is $20. AAA will take the passport photos for free if you are a AAA Plus member or higher. However, there is a fee, varying by location, if you have a lower membership tier, or don't have a AAA membership at all. I recommend that you call ahead to the AAA branch that you plan to visit to make sure that you have all current information.

The IDP will good for one year from date of issuance. However, you can ask them to date it to a future date as I did, but is cannot be more than 6 months in advance.

Though I got my permit through AAA, you can also get one through the American Automobile Touring Alliance (AATA). These are the only two entities listed on travel.state.gov as authorized issuers of IDPs to holders of US driver's licenses. If you see another entity offering IDPs, it is probably a scam. For more up to date information on IDPs, please visit: travel.state.gov.

Note: While I do try to make sure all the information I provide is accurate, I will make no guarantees. Please do your own research. Also, I am NOT affiliate with AAA, NAC or USDOS. The links provided here will take you to other websites, click responsibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment