My Best Posts

Friday, October 9, 2015

Helpful Australian Tourist Visa Information

For those of you who have been following my blog, you know that I am going to New Zealand in January to take part in a YWAM Medical Compassion DTS (https://www.givesendgo.com/ywamnz). So yesterday, as I was looking at available flight options, I found that some of the flights from the USA to New Zealand will have stopovers (layover, plane change, etc) in Either Brisbane or Sydney, Australia.

 

Now I have always wanted to visit Australia, not long enough to get eaten but, just to visit. However, I knew that Australia, unlike New Zealand, required US citizens to obtain visas prior to entry.

Not really finding the info I was looking for online, I called the Australian Embassy in Washington D.C (202-797-3000). After following the prompts, I got a guy on the phone who told me to call a particular visa service at 613-238-1040. Now this number is apparently an area code for Ottawa, Canada, not sure if I will get charged for that call.

Anyway, the lady was most helpful for both my questions. I had two scenarios which I asked about.


#1: If I only change planes in Australia and never leave the airport, do I still need a visa?
Answer: No, as long as you do not leave the airport or have to re-check your bags.

#2: Do I still need a visa to leave the airport even for less than 24hrs?
Answer: Yes, you need one to leave the airport and/or if a bag re-check is required.

So, not knowing at this time what a plane change in Australia would mean, different airports handle long layovers and international bags differently I asked about getting a visa. She told me that Australia has an E-visa which is linked to your passport number. It costs only $20AUD (approx. $15USD as of posting) and is good for stay up to three months. You apply for it online and will be notified of an approval decision automatically. To qualify you must be free of any past criminal convictions and not have Tuberculosis. You can apply as well as get more information about this type of Australian visa here: www.eta.immi.gov.au


Long story short, I decided against changing planes in Australia as I was not prepared to pay the extra taxes upfront on my award flight, about $80USD per ticket. This is on top of US and NZ taxes too, However, I am glad that I got this information, it could be useful in the future. :D

PLEASE NOTE: "Answers" are paraphrased (not word for word quotes) and visa requirements may change at anytime. While I have made an effort to make sure the information I am providing is accurate I am NOT authorized to give immigration advice for ANY country. Please check with the nearest embassy of a country you plan to travel to for the most up to date information.

No comments:

Post a Comment